Monday 23 February 2009

Cabled beret

Progress for you on the cabled beret. When I said a lot of cables, I really did mean it! The whole thing is just full of cables end to end. I have knitted a bit more than this and will update the photos soon. But it looks so bunched up on the circular needle at the moment that the cables aren't really shown to their best advantage. Looking at the model in the picture, I have done the crown and am working my way towards the band - about 3 inches to go or maybe less, I hope.

As I said in an earlier post, the pattern is worked in five repeats and it uses 5 Dpn's to keep the pattern nice and clear. I moved onto the circular a bit quick and it was a bit tight to get the cables done. Note to self - don't do that again! It makes the knitting more of a chore and that isn't meant to be the point!! But as soon as I had done all the increases, it got a lot easier and the pattern was much easier to predict. Nice and logical.

Predictably, I think the cables complexities would look a lot crisper in a solid yarn, some cashmerino or alpaca silk maybe - mmm. Soft to the touch but holding the stitch definition well. (But I'm stash busting so that will have to wait:) I don't know if I like the pattern well enough to knit another - it's those lines inbetween the sections, they're too pronounced for me personally. And there are still more hat patterns out there to try. Brooklyn Tweed's Relm for one.

Also, par for the course, I've started another pair of socks. These are the bluey/green version of the sundae - now - tiger socks and I am about a third through the first one. They are Double knit so are knitting up quick. Well, I had to have something to knit whilst watching tv, didn't I? I will get around to working out Judy's magic cast on for the fingering weight socks as I want to to see what my dyed sock yarns knit up like.

Soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Do stay a while and visit. Please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and be inspired by all your blogs out there too:-) elaine xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails